Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Good Riddance 2010

Is anyone happy that this year has finally come to an end? I sure am. Pick your poison 2010 had it all.
Besides two exceptional bashes in the family (though I have come to boastingly believe that my family is an exception when it comes to almost anything) 2010 was one of the less rewarding experiences for me. There is not much I'll cherish nor much of a source for nostalgia.

The holiday monsoon-turned-blizzard which stranded many while doing equal damage across the country last week was a fitting end. Although it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow when you look at the year as a whole. 2010 hosted some of the worst natural disasters.
Earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, Floods in Pakistan, The BP Oil spill (human error gets a bogey on that one) and many others. I sure hope 2011 goes a bit easier on us.

Politically 2010 wasn't smooth sailing either. Things can't be good when Jon Stewart (who is coming to be the most reliant news source) is forced to hold a 'Rally to Restore Sanity.' The media likes to think that as a country we are completely polarized (because its good for ratings.) Obama's liberal base began to lose hope. And on the other side the most popular character is a grizzly wrestlin' woman who everyday sounds more and more like Stephen Colbert with the one difference being critical; she's serious he isn't.
Say what you want about the lame duck session, but I bet most American's would choose to describe their government in 2010 as "extremely frustrating."

All I want is a high speed rail line on the east coast that doesn't cost 150$ each way. So I don't have to sit on a smelly bus in traffic on the ugly ass New Jersey Turnpike while going from Penn Station to Union Station. Is that really hard people? Come on.



Also for 2011 I'd like for everyone to get along better and really try to think and more importantly put into action ways to make the world a better place.

I plan on finishing my Masters Degree in Architecture so some think that's good for the world. But if there's anything Ive learned, its that the hypothetical can only be valued as a possibility and holds no water when compared to the gratification and understanding accrued from physically making or doing something.

I plan to drink and get merry and wash away 2010 on NYE with some good friends. I'm looking forward to it, and more so 2011. I hope everyone has a great and safe holiday. See you in 2011, lets do it.

1 comment:

Jordan E said...

I really like this post. I have to admit, though, graduating from graduate school was NOT what made my 2010 great.... now 2011 will be great in the fact that I don't have to return to school... and that in May we will BOTH BE NORTH EASTERNERS! I would really appreciate that high speed rail as well. HAPPY NEW YEARS!